Friday, November 9, 2018

Fall the season of festivities!

It's Fall y'all! The colors are gorgeous outside and the season is brimming with festivities! First Halloween and then Diwali, it’s been fun and busy weeks!

Halloween is big in our house especially amongst the boys, I participate in the excitement minus the dressing up. This year however was different, you'll see as you read on!

The costumes are discussed, researched and bought way ahead of time. This year, Tarun had his ready before boys decided on theirs; yes that’s the type of excitement, I'm talking about! Scary movies were watched, decorations were discussed but only if we parents could put them on!

The morning of Halloween Kabir (7) asked me, what I was going to dress up as? I responded with my usual answer “myself”. Then with great disappointment in Kabir's voice came “Agggaiiin!”

I knew I had to do something. The day was long and busy with the Halloween parades at the two schools, along with a parent interview in between.























We got home at 4pm to leave again in an hour for trick or treating at Great Falls Village and a visit to the haunted house. The haunted house was really what the boys wanted to visit, not that they didn't want candy, especially Vir!

I was exhausted and all I needed was a nap but just to make Kabir happy, I took a trip to a store to find myself a simple headgear to get in the Halloween spirit. When I got to the store, they only had a few items left and I found a simple headband with a witch’s hat! I got home excited, put on the headband, showed it to the boys, there were “Yays!” I felt good. I felt I achieved something and made the boys happy. It really was a happy moment. (You'll soon know why I am stressing so much on "happy"). Soon we left for trick or treating.






Another couple of hours of excitement and fun and we were back home. I felt pretty good and decided I was going to reuse the headband. All my future Halloweens were planned!

The next morning, as Kabir ate breakfast with his eyes glued to a book and I sat next to him sipping coffee, there came a voice, “Mama, next year, you are definitely dressing up. We will all wear inflatable costumes and you’ll be the inflatable unicorn.” I sat shocked, in complete disbelief.

I thought I had nailed it last night. What was Kabir saying? I could hear the disappointment yet again. I was sad, very sad that he was disappointed in me but also proud of the way he handled the whole thing.

So now what? An inflatable costume is in my future... what about what I had planned just the night before for ALL the future Halloweens?! We shall see, I might surprise myself again. I never thought I would wear a witch's hat either! All we do for our children!

This week was Diwali, the Indian Festival of Lights and guess who was very excited and wanted to dress up?! ;)

The food preparations started early on, the clay lamps, the tea lights, the sweets were bought, Rangoli was made...there was so much excitement! Even sparklers were bought to make the evening more exciting for the kids.


















Diwali takes me back to my childhood; decorating the house with flowers and rangoli, lighting the candles and diyas, the gift giving to relatives and friends. I am fondly reminded of the time in our prayer room with my grandparents, parents and my brother. I am back in that room each year in my thoughts as we get ready to pray. I am reminded of my brother and I mischievously giggling while the grown ups prayed. Such fun we had!

I re-live the Diwali evening back home each year when I soak milk and water in the silver bowl my grandparents used and add silver coins and rings in it just like they did, when I request Tarun to make the holy symbol with saffron and rice like my grandfather did in the plate with the sweet offerings. I love having these rituals that I can continue in my family and share with my kids .

As I drove around running errands today, reflecting on this sequence of Halloween and Diwali, I appreciated my children’s excitement for Halloween more and their expectation of me to dress up just like I have from them on Diwali, when I take out the Indian Kurtas for them to wear. The Kurtas I have chosen and bought when I visited New Delhi last. How much I want them to immerse in the culture and enjoy the festival as I did growing up...things that bring me joy, the family, the love and the memories I relive and want to continue to make.

This week has been a flood of emotions and today I am thinking of Mama even more. I feel she is closer to me today than she was 12 years ago when she left us this day, for a more peaceful place. I am so thankful for her and her unconditional love. So much of who I am is because of her. Mama, I miss you so much. I am so lucky to call you mine. Love you tons, then, now and always. :-*


I wish my family continues to celebrate together, enjoys little things and makes countless memories. At the end, memories are all we are left with and hold so dear.


xoxo

1 comment:

Tarun Upaday said...

Love the pics. And I hope inflatable costume is not in your future. You looked good in the witch hat.